Registration of premises used for a food business establishment (including market stalls, delivery vehicles and other moveable structures) is required by law.

Registration will allow local authorities to keep an up-to-date list of all those premises in their area so they can visit them when they need to. The frequency of the visits will depend on the type of business.

Who needs to register?

If you run a food business you must tell (or arrange for someone else to tell) the local authority about any premises you use for storing, selling, distributing or preparing food.  Food premises includes restaurants, hotels, cafes, shops, supermarkets, staff canteens, kitchens in offices, warehouses, guest houses, delivery vehicles, buffet cars on trains, market and other stalls, hot dog and ice cream vans, etc.

If you use vehicles for your food business in connection with permanent premises such as a shop, or warehouse, you only need to tell the local authority how many vehicles you have. You do not need to register each vehicle separately. If you have one or more vehicles but no permanent premises, you must tell the authority where they are normally kept.

Anyone starting a new food business must register with the local authority at least 28 days before doing so.
The majority of premises have to be registered. However, certain premises are exempt from registration, e.g., some which are already registered for food law purposes, certain agricultural premises, motor cars, tents and marquees (but not stalls), some domestic premises and some village halls. You should contact your local authority if you think you might be exempt.

How do I register?

By completing the online Application for the Registration of a Food Business Establishment form, which is also available via the Links tab on this page. Registration cannot be refused and there is no charge.

If you use premises in more than one local authority area, you must register with each authority separately.

You must tick all the boxes which apply to your business, answer all the questions and give all the information requested. If you have any questions, we will help you. It is an offence to give information which you know is false.

What happens to the information given on the form?

The local authority will enter the details on its Register. A register of addresses and the type of business carried on at these will be open to inspection by the general public. Records of the other information provided will not be publicly available and will not be disclosed outside of the Council, Local Government Departments and Government Agencies. The details will by used for the purpose of registration, enforcement and the protection of public funds.

What about changes?

Once you have registered with the local authority, you only need to notify them of a change of food business operator, if the nature of the business changes, or if there is a change of the address at which moveable premises are kept. The new food business operator will have to complete an application form.

Please note: any information you provide for your registration will be shared with Business Rates who may contact you.

Bolton Council

Town Hall

Victoria Square



Telephone 01204 336500
View map

Opening times

Times are displayed in a 24 hour format.

Open Close

Upcoming activities

Upcoming events