What is Council Tax Support?

Council Tax Support is a reduction in your Council Tax bill based on

  • Your income
  • the size of your household
  • other adults who live with you
  • the amount of council tax you have to pay

It is shown on your Council Tax Bill as a reduction . There are slightly different rules for working age customers and pension age customers.  

The scheme for working age customers is decided locally, but the scheme for pension age customers is decided by central government. You can view the pension age scheme and the subsequent amendments under Links

View the full Council Tax Support Scheme 2015 for working age customers

View the full Council Tax Support Scheme 2016 for working age customers

Make a claim online

Information and Evidence needed

If you are entitled to council tax support we will usually pay it from the Monday after we receive your claim. If you want to claim housing benefit too, you only need to make one claim. We will assess your housing benefit and council tax support at the same time.

Because council tax support is a means tested benefit, we need to know about all your income and savings, and the income and savings of your partner. Examples of the information and evidence needed are provided on the claim form and when you you complete a claim form online.

See the kind of evidence you may be required to provide

The easiest way to provide the evidence is to take your original documents to your nearest One Stop Shop where they can be photocopied and verified. We cannot accept photocopies of original documents.

Once a decision has been made about your council tax support we will write to you. Any support will be added to your council tax account. If you think the decision about your council tax support is wrong, you can appeal

Changes in circumstances

You must tell us about changes in your circumstances within 21 days of the change occurring. Report a change in circumstances


If you have been overpaid council tax support you will be sent a new council tax bill. If we have made an error and the overpayment is our fault we will not recover the money from you. All overpayments are recoverable unless you could not have known they were occurring. This is why it is important to tell us about changes of circumstances as soon as they occur. View how to pay your council tax bill.

Non Dependant deductions

A deduction may be made from your benefit because you have other adults living with you. We call this a non dependant deduction. The amount we deduct depends upon the number of non dependants you have and what their gross income is. View how much will be deducted for non dependants.

Other ways to reduce your Council Tax

Discretionary council tax reduction scheme

If you are unable to pay your council tax due to personal or financial reasons you can apply to the discretionary council tax reduction scheme. You can apply for this if you are struggling to make payments towards your council tax. You must be the council tax payer for the property you are applying for but you don’t have to be resident at the property to apply for help.

Discounts and exemptions

There are many different discount and exemption which could apply to you or your property. Find out more about  Discounts and Exemptions


Housing Benefits

Bolton Council

P.O. Box 4



Telephone 01204 331590
View map

Opening times

Times are displayed in a 24 hour format.

Open Close

Upcoming activities

Upcoming events