What are compulsory purchase and statutory rights?

This is when the government, local council or utility company has the legal right to buy or take rights over your private property if it falls within a public redevelopment scheme such as:

  • Housing developments
  • Sewer, water or gas pipe schemes
  • Rail or road building projects

Similar processes apply if the Council wants to remove an area of what is known as “unfit” housing. In this instance, there is not necessarily any redevelopment scheme being promoted.

Different compulsory purchase or statutory powers are needed to implement the above schemes. For example, housing developments are authorised under the Housing Act 1985 and a road scheme is carried out under the Highways Act 1980. Each will have its own compulsory purchase order with the procedures from the Acquisition of Land Act 1981 and the Planning & Compulsory Purchase Act 2004.

In all cases, the owners and occupiers of the properties to be acquired or affected by the scheme will be served Notices, with differing expiry times. All the schemes allow for objections to be made and considered and, if the order is confirmed, provide compensation for owners and occupiers directly affected by the scheme.

For Scheme enquiries please contact the relevant promoting department.

For procedural enquiries please contact Legal Services using the details on the Contacts tab.

Please note - legal advice is not available.

Legal Services (Corporate and Property)

Third Floor

The Wellsprings

Victoria Square



Telephone 01204 331135
Fax 01204 331060
View map

Opening times

Times are displayed in a 24 hour format.

Open Close

Upcoming activities

Upcoming events