What is civil partnership?

Civil Partnership is a legal commitment, which can be formed by two people of the same sex, giving them the ability to obtain legal recognition for their relationship. Same-sex couples who form a civil partnership will be treated equally in a wide range of legal matters to opposite-sex couples who enter into a marriage.

What are the eligibility requirements?

In order to form a civil partnership in the UK, the couple must:

  • both be of the same sex
  •  Not already be in a civil partnership or marriage
  •  Be 16 years of age or older
  •  Not be within the prohibited degrees of relationship

Additionally, as with marriages in England and Wales, individuals who are aged 16 and 17 will have to obtain the written consent of their parent(s) or legal guardian(s) before forming a civil partnership.

How do my partner and I go about forming a civil partnership?

You must have resided in the district where you wish to give Notice of the partnership for seven days immediately before giving notice of civil partnership.You will need to make an appointment to see the Superintendent Registrar of that district. In Bolton this can be done by phoning the register office.

Notice can be given by the couple on the same day or on different days. Notice cannot be given on your behalf by your spouse or a friend. Once given each notice of civil partnership is valid for 12 months from the date on which it was given.

Documents the Registrar will need to see:

  • A current valid passport (please telephone for advice if current passport is not available);
  • Evidence of residence is required;e.g. a recent bank statement or utility bill. Documents issued more than 3 months before the appointment date will normally not be accepted.
  • A decree absolute, or death certificate, for those who have been married/civil partnered before.
  • Documentary evidence in the form of a Deed Poll, Declaration or some other form of evidence may be required for those who have changed their name, again this can be clarified over the telephone upon making  the appointment 

For all of the above

Photocopy documents are not acceptable

What if I am under 18 years of age?

Those under the age of 18 years should contact the register office in advance of their notice regarding consents that may be required.

What happens after I have given Notice of the intended Partnership?

There has to be a period of fifteen clear days between giving this notice and being able to register as civil partners. This will allow the proper checks to be made to ensure that you meet the eligibility requirements. If the two of you give notice on different days, the 15-day waiting period is counted from the date that the second of the two notices is given.

When you give notice, you will be asked to state where you wish your civil partnership formation to take place. A civil partnership is formed when you both sign the relevant document in the presence of a registration officer and two witnesses. You may if you wish add a ceremony to the legal formation.

How to make an appointment

Book an appointment online

Alternatively, you can call us 01204 331185 to book an appointment.

Bolton Register Office

Albert Halls

Victoria Square



Telephone 01204 331185
View map

Opening times

Times are displayed in a 24 hour format.

Open Close

Upcoming activities

Upcoming events