Which processes need a permit?

Schedule 1, Part 2 of The Environmental Permitting (England and Wales) Regulations 2010 (EP Regulations) details regulated activities which require an environmental permit.

Listed below are some examples as an illustration. You should check the regulations (746KB) for a full list.

  • Combustion processes e.g. waste oil burners,
  • Incinerators e.g. crematoria and waste incineration,
  • Timber processes e.g. timber manufacture and timber treatment, 
  • Mineral processes e.g. cement plant and mineral screening, grading and crushing, 
  • Animal and plant treatment processes e.g. animal feed manufacture, pet food, composting, 
  • Solvent and oil recovery processes e.g. petrol filling stations and dry cleaners, 
  • Coating processes e.g. printing, vehicle re-spraying.

How can I find out if I need a permit?

If you think you might need a permit  you should check the regulations or contact us for advice  You can also visit the Environment Agency website.

What is involved in a applying for a permit?

You will need to:

  • Complete an application form - please phone 01204 336500 to get this sent out to you;
  • Include the application fee (see below);
  • Give a full description of the process, including precautions taken to minimise or prevent air pollution;
  • Enclose drawings and process diagrams;
  • Describe techniques for monitoring, sampling and measuring air emissions;
  • Include a statement of how your proposal will meet the Best Available Techniques (BAT) objectives;
  • Any other information specifically requested.

How much will it cost me?

The fees are set by the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA).  Fees are paid when an application is made, every year that a process operates and at other times also.  To see the current charges please see the Environmental permitting charging scheme & guidance (1.9MB).

The Environmental Permitting (England and Wales) Regulations 2010 (EP Regulations)

Bolton Council regulates emissions to atmosphere from a number of industrial processes/installations under The Environmental Permitting (England and Wales) Regulations 2010 (746KB) (EP Regulations) which came into force on 6 April 2010.

The aim of the EP Regulations is to streamline the legislative system for industrial and waste installations into a single permitting structure for those activities which have the potential to cause harm to human health or the environment. The permitting system will aim to protect the environment, encourage best practice in the operation of regulated facilities, minimise the regulatory administrative burden to operators while fully implementing the requirements of EU legislation.


There are two types of installations regulated by the local authority. The first is the Local Authority Integrated Pollution Prevention and Control (LA-IPPC) otherwise known as Part A2 activities. These installations are required to control emissions to air, land, water and other local environmental impacts. The second type is the Local Authority Pollution Prevention and Control (LAPPC) otherwise known as Part B activities, which requires installations permitted under this regime to control emission related to air only.

Processes in Bolton Council

Please see our list of current and old permitted processes (123KB).

Should you wish to see the public register documentation for any process please contact us to make an appointment.

Pollution Control Unit

Ellesmere House

Mayor Street Depot

Ellesmere Street


BL3 5DT (Please note there is no visitor access at this address)

Telephone 01204 336500
View map

Opening times

Times are displayed in a 24 hour format.

Open Close

Upcoming activities

Upcoming events