Are you looking after someone else's child?
Is someone else looking after your child?
If so, this may be classed as private fostering.
What is private fostering ?
A parent may decide that it is best for their child to be cared for by someone who is not their:
- Parent or step-parent
- Brother or sister
- Aunt or uncle (by blood or marriage)
If this is for more than 28 days, it is called a Private Fostering Arrangement and the parent or carer must inform Bolton Children’s Services. The 28 days doesn't have to be all in one go, it can be split over 12 months. For example where a child is cared for three days a week, over 12 months.
Examples of children who might be privately fostered:
- Children staying with a friend of the family or the child’s friend’s parents as a result of separation, divorce or problems at home
- Children staying with extended family such as a cousin or great aunt
- Children staying with someone unknown who is willing to care for a child
- Children sent to this country for education or health care by birth parents living overseas
- Teenagers living with the family of a boyfriend or girlfriend
- Children whose parents’ work or study involves unsociable hours, which makes it difficult for them to use ordinary day care or after school care
- Teenagers who have broken ties with their parents and are staying with friends or non-relatives
- Children living with host families whilst pursuing courses of study
- Children receiving respite care provided by someone other than a relative
- Private Fostering is not arranged or paid for by Bolton Children's Services
If you think this could be you, or you want to find out more, please contact the Referral and Assessment team in your area.
Astley Bridge, Bradshaw, Breightmet, Bromley Cross, Tonge Moor,Crompton and Tonge with the Haulgh
Burnden, Daubhill, Farnworth, Harper Green, Kearsley, Little Lever, Great Lever, Darcy Lever, Harper Green and Rumworth
Deane, Halliwell, Heaton and Lostock, Derby, Smithills, Hulton,Westhoughton and Chew Moor, Horwich and Blackrod