The Town Council has commissioned and funded the Pretoria Pit disaster centenary memorial, along with donations from the Hulton Area Forum, Peel Holdings (Land and Property) Ltd, Sainsbury’s supermarkets Ltd and the Westhoughton with Chew Moor Area Forum.
The memorial comprises of:
- a bronze statue of a kneeling miner, which was designed and sculpted by the sculptress Jane Robbins, and
- a backdrop of three granite walls, which were supplied and installed by Always In Our Thoughts memorials, and upon which are inscribed a clock face timed at 7.50 a.m. and the names of the victims
The centenary memorial was unveiled on 19th December 2010 by the Town Mayor of Westhoughton, Councillor Brian J Clare, who is serving his fourth term of office as Town Mayor.
The memorial is a permanent tribute to the 344 victims.
The Pretoria Pit Disaster Centenary Memorial Committee
- Chairman - Councillor Harry Bowling
- Town Clerk – Mrs Christine Morris
- Committee – Town Mayor, Councillor Brian J Clare
- Councillor Mrs Judith Ashcroft
- Councillor Patrick Brennan
- Mrs Philomena Bradshaw
- Mrs Andrea Finney
- Mr David A Owens