A hackney carriage is:
- Commonly known as a 'taxi'
- Either purpose built 'London style' cabs (often called 'black cabs', but sometimes a different colour) or saloon cars with a sign on the roof
- Has a white plate on the rear of the vehicle stating that it is a hackney carriage
- Can operate from taxi ranks within the Borough or can be 'flagged down' in the street
- Can only be driven by a driver licensed by us for hackney carriage.
There are controlled numbers of hackney carriage vehicle licences in Bolton. We are required to complete an 'Unmet Demand' survey, to maintain the control on the number of licences issued.