As part of the Governments easing of the lockdown restrictions, we have been granted permission to grant “Pavement Licences” for premises across the borough.
This new process introduces a streamlined and cheaper route for businesses such as cafes, restaurants and bars to secure a license to place furniture on the highway. This will support them to operate safely while social distancing measures remain in place.
Conditions for a licence in Bolton
- The Pavement Licence does not extend beyond 11pm
- The applicant is responsible for notifying/consulting with neighbouring premises and placing legal notices on site for a minimum of 5 working days (see below)
- The Pavement Licence does not permit areas of the carriageway (road) to be used unless the highway has been closed to traffic by other means
- The Pavement Licence will be granted for maximum of 3 months and extended subject to review
- There is no fee for applications
It is strongly recommended that all applicants read through the government rules, legislation and advice about these licenses and fully understand their responsibilities.
Current applications under consideration
Street Cafe Licence
A licence is required if you want to place tables, chairs or other temporary furniture on the pavement. A street cafe licence application form will not be processed until the necessary planning permission is formally granted.
See street cafe guidelines for further information
How do I apply?
Download and complete a Street Café licence application form
How much will it cost?
View our Street Café scale of charges
If you need any more information or advice, or help in completing your application please contact us.