Pavement Licence

As part of the Governments easing of the lockdown restrictions, we have been granted permission to grant “Pavement Licences” for premises across the borough.
This new process introduces a streamlined and cheaper route for businesses such as cafes, restaurants and bars to secure a license to place furniture on the highway. This will support them to operate safely while social distancing measures remain in place.

Conditions for a licence in Bolton

  • The Pavement Licence does not extend beyond 11pm
  • The applicant is responsible for notifying/consulting with neighbouring premises and placing legal notices on site for a minimum of 5 working days (see below)
  • The Pavement Licence does not permit areas of the carriageway (road) to be used unless the highway has been closed to traffic by other means
  • The Pavement Licence will be granted for maximum of 3 months and extended subject to review
  • There is no fee for applications

It is strongly recommended that all applicants read through the government rules, legislation and advice about these licenses and fully understand their responsibilities.

The Business and Planning Bill 2020

Draft Guidance Notes


Download an application pack containing the neccessary form and public notice template here

Current applications under consideration

Spinning Mule (Application 3)

Ye Olde Man & Scythe

Granted licences

The Churchgate


Northern Monkey (Application 2)

Venue Bar

Rejected licences

Northern Monkey (Application 1)

Spinning Mule (front of house)

Spinning Mule (rear of house)


Street Cafe Licence

A licence is required if you want to place tables, chairs or other temporary furniture on the pavement.  A street cafe licence application form will not be processed until the necessary planning permission is formally granted.

See street cafe guidelines for further information

How do I apply?

Download and complete a Street Café licence application form

How much will it cost?

View our Street Café scale of charges

Further Information

If you need any more information or advice, or help in completing your application please contact us.