Sustainability is being responsible for how our actions impact others within the borough, in neighbouring areas and around the world. We aim to be sustainable through all the work we do.
Download Bolton's climate change strategy:
In 2021, Bolton Council officially adopted an ambitious climate change strategy that aims to make council operations carbon neutral by 2030.
The wide-ranging plan also sets out how the council will work with other organisations in Bolton to address climate change.
In 2019, Bolton Council declared a climate emergency and committed to play its part in tackling climate change, with this new strategy setting out its plans.
Development of the strategy was led by the Bolton Vision Partnership, which brings together organisations across Bolton including Bolton at Home, Bolton University, Bolton CCG, Bolton Community and Voluntary Sector, Bolton College, NHS Bolton Foundation Trust and the council.
Measures set out in the strategy include:
- Enhancing green space and planting more street trees
- A shift towards more sustainable transport and encouragement of more walking and cycling
- Reducing carbon emissions across our buildings and our fleet
- Ensuring new developments take climate change targets into account
- Sustainable waste management
- Promoting skills to boost the green economy
- Supporting the voluntary and community sector and our volunteer networks to act on climate change.
Responses to Bolton’s Big Climate Conversation, a consultation held between December 2020 and January 2021, helped to guide the plan.
Eighty-four percent of people responding to the consultation said they were worried about climate change and 64% were more worried this year than last.
It also revealed that Bolton residents are keen to see action on improving the environment more broadly.
Among the popular ideas was to plant more trees, rewild areas and improve green spaces to make them better for wildlife, reduce the risk from floods and help improve air quality.
Progress against the plan will be provided through published updates.