Volunteers, community groups and the sporting stars of the future took centre stage at the Active Bolton Awards 2019.
Hundreds of guests packed the University of Bolton Stadium’s Premier Suite to congratulate the worthy winners across eight categories.
Nominees and those in attendance were joined by a quartet of special guests: Cycling star and Special Olympics gold medallist Kiera Byland, English middleweight boxing champion Jack Cullen, two-time European wheelchair rugby champion Ayaz Bhuta and cricket ace Josh Bohannon who recently helped Lancashire secure the Division Two title in the County Championship.
Winners on the night included Sam Ormrod whose own experience inspired him to set up a running club to help people with mental health problems.
Young Sports Achiever of the Year winner Emily Hesford overcame hypermobility syndrome and fought back from a serious ankle injury to win multiple medals at an international gymnastics competition in Costa Rica in May.
Other winners included Bob Naylor of Daisy Hill Football Club, who was awarded the Unsung Hero Award, and Volunteer of the Year Ellie Winnard.
Bolton Council’s Executive Cabinet Member for Wellbeing, Cllr Susan Baines, said:
“Getting people involved in sport or regular exercise is a vital part of our ambition for everyone in Bolton to live healthy and active lives.
“We are lucky to have so many community groups and volunteers, working behind the scenes so Bolton can punch above its weight when it comes to sporting participation and achievement.
“These awards are a chance to highlight this incredible work and say thank you to those unsung heroes who keep Bolton active.”
List of winners in full:
- Changing Lifestyles Award sponsored by Portfolio - Sam Ormrod
- Young Sports Achiever of the Year Award sponsored by Bolton at Home - Emily Hesford
- Commitment to PE and School Sports Award sponsored by University of Bolton - Sacred Heart RC Primary School and Marcus Walker
- Volunteer of the Year Award sponsored by Carrs Pasties - Ellie Winnard
- Unsung Hero in Sport Award sponsored by Middlebrook - Bob Naylor
- Club or Class of the Year Award sponsored by Exclusec - Wave Adventure
- Sport and Health Initiative of the Year Award sponsored by Robertson Facilities Management - The Young Mentors Programme
- Liam Chronnell Memorial Trophy for Contributions to Boxing - Angela Barber