Who can claim

Bolton residents may be entitled to a test and trace support payment of £500.  Payments will be made by the council, directly into your bank account. You must make a claim within 42 days of first having to self- isolate. You should claim if you:

  • have been asked to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace or identified as a close contact by the NHS COVID-19 App.
  • have responded to messages received from NHS Test and Trace in which you provided contact details and where you have tested positive, the details of your contacts or if the NHS COVID-19 App has told you to self-isolate because you’ve been in close contact with someone who has tested positive for coronavirus, you have followed the steps to request an Account ID.
  • are employed or self-employed and are unable to work from home and will lose income as a result, and
  • are currently receiving, or are the partner of someone in the same household who is receiving;
    • Universal Credit
    • Working Tax Credit
    • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
    • Housing Benefit
    • Income Support
    • Income based Job Seeker’s Allowance
    • Pension Credit


From Monday 16th August 2021, people who are fully vaccinated and are identified as contacts will no longer need to self-isolate. This means that they are ineligible for the Test and Trace Support Payment. If they test positive, they they can make a claim. 

From this date anyone under the age of 18 who is a contact will also be exempt from self-isolation. This will mean that most parents and guardians will not be eligible for the Test and Trace Support Payment if their child is identified as a contact, as their child will no longer be required to self-isolate.

Children who have tested positive will still be required to self-isolate and the parents and guardians will still be eligible if they meet the other criteria as they may need to stay at home and look after their child).

If a young person under 25 has been identified as a close contact and they have an Education, and Health Care Plan, their parents or guardians may be eligible if they need to stay at home to look after them.