Sport, travel, weddings and funerals

Can I play sports?

You can continue to take part in organised sporting or licensed physical activity in groups of more than 6 outdoors and up to 6 people indoors (for over 18s). There is an exemption for indoor sports if it is organised for the purposes of someone who has a disability taking part and for children’s activities.

These activities either need to be organised by a national governing body, club, registered instructor/coach, business or charity, and/or involve someone who has received an official licence to use equipment relevant to the activity. In all cases, the organiser must conduct a risk assessment and ensure compliance with COVID-19 secure guidance.

You should only be playing team sports where the relevant governing body has published guidance on how to do so safely. See a list of team sports governing bodies which have developed guidance. For all other sports, guidance is available from your governing body and details on how to safely undertake this activity within an organised environment.

Organised dance and exercise classes can take place in groups of more than 6, where a risk assessment has been carried out, but you must not mix with more than five other participants. The relevant indoor sport facilities guidance or outdoor guidance must be followed for these activities. Organised sport and physical activity events are allowed provided they follow guidance for the public on the phased return of outdoor sport and recreation in England.


Indoor sport

From 24 September, organised indoor sport and indoor exercise classes can continue to take place with larger numbers present, provided groups of more than six do not mix. If groups of six are likely to mix, these indoor activities must not go ahead. There is an exemption or organised indoor team sports for disabled people.

The relevant indoor sport facilities guidance or outdoor guidance must be followed for these activities. Organised Sport and Physical Activity events are allowed provided they follow guidance for the public on the phased return of outdoor sport and recreation in England. All supervised activities for under 18s, including sports and exercise groups, indoors and out, are permitted where a risk assessment has been carried out. This should follow guidance on out of school settings.

Other forms of exercise must only take place in groups of six unless everyone is from the same household or support bubble.

When playing sports informally (where not organised in line with the rules above) with people you don’t live with, you must limit the size of your group to 6. It is illegal to do so in a larger group and you may be fined.

Can I travel to play sport outside of Bolton?

Yes. Walk or cycle if you can, or go by car.


Libraries in Bolton will remain open at this time


We advise that you should only travel for essential reasons when travelling into, within and out of Bolton. We encourage you to walk or cycle where possible and to plan your journey in advance, avoiding busy times and routes if possible. Examples of essential travel include:

  • to get to and from work
  • to get essential food or medical supplies including click and collect services
  • to support someone who is vulnerable, if no-one else can do so
  • to travel to and from the homes of others in your support bubble
  • to attend an early years setting, school or college, or to accompany a child who is attending an early years setting, school, college or university where necessary
  • to fulfil legal obligations
  • to seek medical care, or avoid illness, injury or harm

Public transport

You should only use public transport for essential purposes, which means travel to education, work, and essential appointments only e.g. hospital appointments. 

You must wear a face covering on public transport, taxis and private hire vehicles (PHVs) and in substantially enclosed areas of transport hubs in England (as well as other indoor premises).

You will be breaking the law if you fail to do so and could be fined. Some people do not have to wear a face covering including for age, health, or disability reasons.

Can I go to religious ceremonies or places of worship?

You may attend a church, mosque, synagogue, temple or other place or worship, but you should socially distance from people outside of your household. You must wear a face covering when inside the building.

If possible, prayer or religious services should take place outdoors.

Can I go to a wedding, funeral or other event such as a christening?

In Bolton, a maximum of 6 people should attend weddings, civil partnership ceremonies and receptions, funerals (including ceremonies at crematoria) and other religious or belief based life-cycle ceremonies.

This should be limited to close family of the people getting married or the person who has died, or people who live(d) or formed a support bubble with them. A close friend can attend a funeral only if there are no household members or immediate families.

Anyone working at these ceremonies or events are not included as part of the 6-person limit.

These events should comply with the COVID-19 secure guidance and venue capacity. See detailed guidance for small marriages and civil partnerships.

People living outside of Bolton can travel to Bolton to attend a wedding, civil partnership ceremony or funeral, but must not meet with another household in a private home or garden.

Can I travel in my area?

Yes, walk or cycle if you can. You should try not to share a car with those outside your household or social bubble. If you need to, for example because you have a hospital appointment, try to:

  • share the transport with the same people each time
  • keep to small groups of people at any one time
  • open windows for ventilation
  • travel side by side or behind other people, rather than facing them
  • face away from each other
  • consider seating arrangements to maximise distance between people in the vehicle
  • clean your car between journeys using standard cleaning products – make sure you clean door handles and other areas that people may touch
  • ask the driver and passengers to wear a face covering

More guidance on car sharing and travelling with people outside your household group.

You should follow all relevant transport guidance when making a journey into, within or out of Bolton.

Can I travel outside of my area?

Yes, but if you travel outside of the area you must not meet people indoors or outdoors other than people you live with or those in your support bubble.

You can still go on holiday outside of your area, or visit shops etc, but you can only do this with people you live with (or have formed a support bubble with).

Can I move home?

Estate and letting agents as well as removals firms can continue to work, and people looking to move home can continue to undertake viewings.

See guidance on moving home during coronavirus.

Can I go on holiday? 

Yes, you can still go on holiday within the UK and abroad but only with your household members, and you need to abide by any rules in the area you visit. Be aware of the self isolation rules when travelling to and from certain countries.

Further information

If you have a question or would like further information please email