Community support

Getting a test

Anyone who has symptoms of coronavirus (COVID-19), must get tested.

You and your household must self-isolate immediately if you have:

  • a new continuous cough or
  • a high temperature or
  • a loss of or change in your normal sense of smell or taste

Book a test (via website)
If you are unable to access the internet, call 119 in England and Wales or 0300 303 2713 in Scotland and Northern Ireland to book a test.

All members of your household must also self-isolate according to current guidelines, unless you receive a negative test result.

Bolton’s COVID-19 community support hub

The hub is there to help extremely vulnerable people needing vital help with food, medicine and essential items.

Particularly those who have previously been shielding themselves against Covid-19 such as organ transplant recipients, those undergoing immunotherapy and people with specific conditions.

For help call 01204 337221 (8.30am to 5.30pm Mon – Fri and Sat 9am to 1.30pm) or complete the online Support request form.

Feeling the pinch due to COVID-19?

If you are struggling financially at this difficult time, Bolton’s Money Skills Service offers free, confidential and impartial services to people who live, work or study in the borough, including Bolton Council employees. The service can help with:

  • homelessness prevention advice and assistance for mortgage and rent arrears
  • dealing with Council Tax and fuel arrears
  • affordable and realistic payment arrangements negotiated
  • advice and assistance with court forms including Debt Relief Orders (DRO), Individual Voluntary Arrangements (IVA), Bankruptcy

Updated guidance for landlords and tenants 

Your landlord can now take court action to evict you if your notice has ended. 

Your landlord might have to give you extra notice to leave before they can go to court to evict you. This is because the government has made a change to the law about eviction notices to help people deal with coronavirus. 

For most tenancy agreements, if your landlord serves you notice on or after 29 August 2020, until at least 31 March 2021, they must provide you with at least 6 months’ notice for most grounds (including Section 21 notices), except in certain serious cases.

If your landlord gave you notice from the 26 March to 28 August 2020, the required notice period was 3 months. 

If you are concerned about homelessness or have been served a Section 21 notice and need support, visit our Housing Options Service page.

Save money on your energy bills

It may be a good time to have a look at your energy bills and match those with how you use energy at home. Perhaps another supplier can save you money. Bolton’s Money Skills can do the hard work for you by finding you the cheapest deal.

You can simply call on 01204 33 1983 or alternatively email us on with the following information:

  • The name of your current supplier.
  • The name of your current tariff – usually found on your energy bill.
  • The amount of energy you use – annual consumption. This is the amount of gas and electricity in (kWh units) you have used over the last year. Usually found on your bill and annual statement. 
  • How you currently pay and would like to pay with a new supplier.
  • Your postcode.

For information about energy saving quick wins visit the Evergy Saving Trust website.

Bolton at Home

Bolton at Home are providing regular updates on how they are delivering services differently and other ways they are trying to keep people safe. They have provided information on essential services, help for money worries, support for older tenants, emergency repairs, closure of UCAN centres and reception areas, postponed community events, and help for those worried about domestic abuse.

For further information and for advice about paying your rent, please visit their website.

Easy to read guides

Public Health England have put together an easy-read guide to looking after your mind and body during this difficult time.

COVID-19 advice in other languages

If you require guidance in another language, independent humanitarian movement Doctors of the World has produced advice in 35 different languages.

Beware of COVID-19 scams

Residents are being warned to be aware of scams connected to the coronavirus. These scams could take many forms - online, doorstep, refund, telephone, donation, counterfeit scams and free school meals e-mail scams. For advice on scams call the Citizens Advice Consumer Helpline on 03454 04 05 06. Report scams to Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040.

Keeping up to date with immunisations and vaccinations

During the current coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic it is particularly important that children and families are still vaccinated against serious diseases, such as measles and meningitis.

Babies and toddlers in particular need vaccinations to protect them from many infections including measles, mumps, rubella (MMR), rotavirus, diphtheria, whooping cough, meningitis, polio, tetanus, tuberculosis and more. 

Families and children should continue to receive vaccinations offered through the Childhood Immunisation Programme so that there is no resurgence of these highly infectious diseases in our communities and to protect the most vulnerable.

Reporting of discarded needles

If you see any discarded needles in public places or you are aware of any that require disposing of safely, contact the Sharps hotline number on freephone 0800 731 9835 for a speedy response and advice.

The service is free of charge for any needles found in public places throughout Bolton.

Travel updates

 For further information please visit the TfGM coronavirus webpage.