Services affected by coronavirus
The One Stop Shop is closed.
Services provided by Access Bolton in the Town Hall are only accessible via the phone or online due to the current Covid-19 outbreak. For urgent customer queries please phone 01204 333333.
More specific information about council services are outlined below:
Waste and Recycling
Our staff are working hard during the Covid-19 outbreak to collect as many bins as possible and we are having to prioritise black bins, green bins, and food containers.
- Leave recycling bins out as usual - they will be emptied where possible
- Please compact your waste and flatten all cardboard and squash empty bottles to make it easier to store and collect
- Do not put any electrical items in any of your bins at home
- Where appropriate please compost grass cuttings and hedge trimmings to reduce garden waste until we reopen
- If your bin is not collected please take your bin back onto your property and put it back out on your next scheduled collection day
- Public litter bin collections have been temporarily suspended
Local recycling tips - Household waste and recycling centres in Bolton and across the Greater Manchester are now accepting general waste and some recyclable items including garden waste, cardboard, paper and wood.
- Untill Greater Manchester Waste recycling centres are fully open to accept all waste please hold on to any recyclable and bulky items you have
- Do not leave any waste outside the recycling centres - leaving waste outside the recycling centres or anywhere else is classed as fly tipping and is a criminal offence for which people will be prosecuted
- For regular waste and recycling updates see waste collections - Coronavirus (COVID-19) update and advice
Births Marriages and Deaths Registrations
New guidelines have been introduced to tackle coronavirus (COVID-19). It means that the Register Office needs to introduce emergency measures to prioritise services. Find out more at registrars - Coronavirus (COVID-19) update and advice
- British citizenship ceremonies – suspended for three months
- Births - unfortunately we have had to suspend birth registrations until further notice
- Wedding and civil partnership ceremonies – all cancelled and marriage registrations have stopped
Registering a death
We know the measures below will be difficult and distressing for many families. However, they have been discussed with faith leaders with the purpose of protecting the public and to help us to slow the spread of the virus, whilst making sure we provide loved ones with a respectful and dignified ceremony.
- We have extended our operating times
- The registration of all deaths will be carried out over the phone for the forseeable future - please call 01204 331185
- Funerals at the crematorium will be limited to a maximum of ten guests
- Crematoriums and cemeteries are open to visitors subject to normal summer opening hours which are 9am-8pm.
Bolton Libraries and Museums
All our libraries and museums are closed but you can still access a great range of online, free to use resources with eBooks, eAudio books and eMagazines online here If you’re not a member join online!
Online schooling with Bolton libraries - Are you stuck with your homework or with a school project then Bolton Libraries has lots of online resources which can help you.
Additionally, all existing loan due dates and reservation collection dates have been extended by 90 days. If any fines are incurred at this time these will be waived by staff when the customer is able to return their books. For more information visit www.boltonlams.co.uk/
Bolton Leisure Centres
All Bolton’s leisure centres are now closed but there’s a wealth of free online health and fitness advice available.
#StayInWorkOut - There’s loads you can do to stay fit at home no matter what age with loads of choice online with Youtube. There’s chair exercises, squats, tricep dips, crunches, body work and much more. Follow The Body Coach with online PE fitness sessions everyday at 9am on his YouTube channel – “The Body Coach TV” aimed at helping school kids keep active each morning by following his live work out – parents can join in too. He is also putting them on his channel for the older generation and those with mobility issues and wheel chair users. Need more inspiration and ideas:
- Join eighty-year-old Diana Moran as she returns to the BBC with exercises three times a week on Breakfast TV
- Sport England – How to stay active when at home
- GM Moving – Ways to keep moving
- Gymnastics with Max – Max Whitlock is running gymnastics sessions weekly
- Our Parks Superheroes Fitness – Fitness with the kids weekdays at 15.30 through Facebook Live
Parks and Greenspaces
Parks are open strictly for usage in line with government rules and social distancing guidance must be adhered to.
Heaton Fold Garden Centre
Heaton Fold Garden Centre has now reopened to the public with socisl distancing and safety measures in place to protect our customers and staff. For any enquiries, please contact 01204 336848.
Bolton Albert Halls
Due to Government guidance on Covid-19 the theatre is now closed. All Albert Halls shows are cancelled (no bookings for weddings being taken for the rest of the year) – for more information visit www.alberthalls-bolton.co,uk
Adults, Children and Young People Services
Social care - If you, a relative or someone you care for, has a health problem, including any medical, psychological or emotional condition and are struggling with everyday activities then please don’t be frightened to contact us on 01204 337860.
Become a Social #CareHero - We need your help to deliver essential services via our partner NW ADAS. They urgently need to fill roles such as care assistants and administrators to qualified clinical roles and social workers. Find more details and apply here: https://bit.ly/2RlBgUt.
Schools and colleges have been closed apart to provide essential childcare and education provision for keyworkers and vulnerable children. For more information visit
- Respite services for adults and younger people are closed
- Start Well Centres - Harvey Centre is open for midwifery clinics and childcare; Tonge SWC, Farnworth SWC and Oxford SWC only open for midwifery clinics and by appointment only
- The Home Learning Literacy project resources for young chikdren are availble here supporting their learning and development at home
- Older Adults, Learning Disability and Mental Health Day Care services are not operating
- Youth and Play services are not available
The Bolton Market Food Hall remains open so shoppers can buy essential food supplies.
- Customers are being reminded to observe social distancing guidance via signs and public announcements every 15 minutes
- Many of the market’s fresh produce traders are now providing home delivery or order and collect services - details at facebook@boltonmarkets.
- For further information visit www.boltonmarkets.com
For general information on neighbourhood services including reporting fly tipping, pest control and dog fouling, graffiti, street cleaning, roadside grass cutting please search our webpages and use the online forms to report issues and we will try and respond as soon as possible
For general information on highways including roadworks information, maintenance, road or footpath damage, blocked drains/gullies and street light issues please search our webpages and use the online forms to report issues and we will try and respond as soon as possible.
- Counter facilities have closed
- Private hire and hackney carriage vehicle drivers whose licences are expiring before the 30 June need to complete an online form and once verified the licence can be extend to 30 September 2020
- E-mail email@example.com or call 01204 336584 and choose option 1