Retail & Nursery discount
At the Budget on 3 March 2021, the Chancellor announced that the Government would provide additional business rates support for eligible retail, hospitality, leisure, and nursery businesses in England occupying a qualifying property.
As temporary measure for 2021/22 he announced that:
- The Expanded Retail Discount (2020/21) will be extended for three months for eligible properties, at 100% relief, uncapped, for the period 1 April 2021 to 30 June 2021.
- From 1 July 2021 to 31 March 2022, the Expanded Retail Discount would apply at 66% relief for eligible properties in the scheme, with a cash cap of £2m for businesses that were required to close as at 5 January 2021, and up to £105,000 for business permitted to open at that date.
- The Nursery Discount 2021 would also be extended for three months, at 100%, uncapped, for the period 1 April 2021 to 30 June 2021.
- From 1 July 2021 to 31 March 2022 the Nursery Discount would apply at 66% relief for eligible properties, with a cash cap of £105,000.
- For the Expanded Retail Discount 2021/22 and Nursery Discount 2021/22 businesses may choose to opt out of support by providing billing authorities notification of their request to refuse support, per eligible hereditament.
As nothing will therefore be payable before 1 July 2021 the initial 2021/22 bills will show 100% relief for the year. Amended bills will then be issued later.