Children’s and Adult Services Social Care complaints procedure

In the event that you are unhappy with any aspect of our service we will investigate your concerns and provide a full explanation. There are various ways that you can let us know about your issues: 

If you have a complaint about Children’s or Adult Social Care Services please:

• Use the online form
• Email
• Tell someone working in the service
• Phone 01204 333333

We aim to resolve complaints quickly and informally where possible.

Complaints about social care services

• A social care complaint is set out in law and is anything which relates to the social care services that the Council either provides or commissions e.g. complaints about residential facilities, direct payments, complaints from foster carers etc.
• You may complain on someone else’s behalf but we will seek consent from that person to share information with you
• You can offer your comments at any time to any service that we provide or that we commission – we welcome feedback. 

Statutory Children’s and Adult social care complaints follow the following procedure

For complaints about Children’s and Adult’s Social Care Services

  • Investigation – if things can’t be resolved quickly and informally, we will look into your complaint to see why things have gone wrong. We will apologise if we have made mistakes and will tell you what we will do to put things right.

For complaints about Children’s Social Care only

  • Appeal - If you are not happy with our investigation you can appeal and we will look at your complaint again.
  • Panel - If you remain unhappy with how we have investigated your complaint following the appeal you have the right for it to be reviewed by a panel of independent people.


Following completion of the complaints process, if you are not satisfied, you have the option of referring your complaint to the Local Government Ombudsman.

Confidentiality and Consent

All information received by the Department will be treated in strict confidence and will not be shared with any third party without the consent of the service user with the exception of becoming aware of a safeguarding concern. 

The Department can only provide a response to the complainant with the consent of the service user, their next of kin or person deemed to have sufficient interest.

Listening , learning and improving

By listening to people about their experiences of social care services, the Department can resolve issues faster, learn new ways to improve and prevent the same problems from happening in the future. 


Bolton Council

Telephone 01204 333333

Opening times

Times are displayed in a 24 hour format.

Open Close

Upcoming activities

Upcoming events