Regularisation of building work

If building work has been carried out at your property without Building Regulations approval, you may apply retrospectively using our application form. If parts of the building fabric have been covered up, the building inspector may require them to be uncovered, and any contraventions put right. Once we are satisfied that the work is in compliance with the Regulations, we should be able to issue a completion certificate.

This Regularisation process can only be used for work commenced on or after 11 November 1985, where Building Regulation approval would have been required but was not sought.

The first step is to send in a valid application form, with plans showing what work has been carried out. 

Reporting unauthorised building works

Unauthorised work is building work that has started without a Building Regulation application being deposited.

If you think that this may have happened, you can report it by email or telephoning 01204 336033.

Irrespective of the main purpose of the regulations, failure to be able to demonstrate that approval has been obtained for building works, can affect the sale of properties.

Building Control enforcement

Building Control can take enforcement action against building work in contravention of the building regulations. In the worst cases this could involve a notice requiring the work is removed or even action through the courts to seek a substantial financial penalty.

Retrospective planning permission

If works have taken place without the necessary Planning permission in place, it may be necessary to make a retrospective planning application. For further information look at the Planning section of the website.

Bolton Council

Town Hall

Victoria Square



Telephone 01204 333333
View map

Opening times

Times are displayed in a 24 hour format.

Open Close

Upcoming activities

Upcoming events