Collelction vehicle

Waste is classified as hazardous when it has properties that might make it harmful to human health or the environment. You should take hazardous waste to one of Greater Manchester Waste Disposal Authority (GMWDA) household waste recycling centres, where there are dedicated facilities for its safe disposal. Hazardous waste includes: 


The Council does not provide a collection service for asbestos.

Asbestos is potentially dangerous and should be taken to the GMWDA household waste recycling centre at Raikes Lane for disposal.

Advice to householders on the removal and transportation of asbestos products

Government guidance on asbestos can be found on the Directgov website.

Always try to remove the asbestos in whole sheets. If the cement is dry, spray it with water first before attempting to dismantle it to avoid dust being produced. If you need to cut the asbestos, use plenty of water on the area and saw or break it up carefully to avoid dust being created.

Double wrap each sheet in polythene before transporting to the GMWDA household waste recycling centre at Raikes Lane for disposal.

If you have any pieces of asbestos, please double bag them before transporting them to GMWDA household waste recycling centre at Raikes Lane.

Before setting off please contact Raikes Lane GMWDA (01204 522798) to check there is sufficient space to take the amount you are bringing in.

If you turn up at Raikes Lane with unwrapped asbestos you will be refused entry. If there is insufficient room for the asbestos you bring in you will be turned away. This is necessary for the safety of the staff working at the site, other members of the public and yourself.

If you are employing a builder to do the work, make sure they include in their quote the cost of providing a skip from a waste contractor licensed to take asbestos products for disposal. Do not dispose of the waste for them, as it is their responsibility in law to take care of the waste if they have created it themselves. This also applies to general building waste.

If in doubt, employ a specialist asbestos contractor to do the work for you.

Business disposal of asbestos

Traders or businesses should note that the Council's Transfer Stations cannot accept asbestos waste. Businesses will need to arrange for disposal at a site licensed to take asbestos. Any trader or business carrying building waste must comply with:

  • the Duty of Care Regulations
  • the Controlled Waste (Registration of Carriers and Seizure of Vehicles) Regulations
  • the Special Waste Regulations (if carrying asbestos or other hazardous waste)


Eighty pesticide products (mainly weed killers) have been withdrawn from the market for commercial reasons, rather than safety reasons. If you find that you have one of these products, use it up if you can. The pesticide will break down when used in the garden and in addition to benefiting your garden, you will save yourself a journey to a waste disposal site.

If you would prefer not to use the product, take it to a GMWDA household waste recycling centres. Speak to an attendant and put the item in the Hazardous Waste cages.

Fluorescent tubes

Fluorescent tubes contain phosphor powder, this powder typically has enough of the heavy metal mercury in them to contaminate up to 30,000 litres of water. Fluorescent tubes can be safely recycled at a GMWDA household waste recycling centres: the recycling process will not only recover the mercury it will also recycle the glass and metal components of the lamp as well.


Not all paints are classified as hazardous, but they all can create a mess if disposed of irresponsibly.  As it is not always easy to identify which ones contain the nasty hydrocarbons and solvents, it is best to bring them to a GMWDA household waste recycling centres our so they can be safely disposed.

WEEE - Waste Electronic and Electrical Equipment

Waste electrical and electronic equipment (WEEE) can contain hazardous materials such as mercury and cadmium which negatively affect the environment when they are disposed of in landfill. You can recycle your old electrical item(s) at a GMWDA household waste recycling centre to help to keep these pollutants out of the environment and so that the materials can be reused.

Waste and Recycling

Town Hall

Victoria Square



Telephone 01204 336632 (Residents)
Telephone 01204 336633 (Residents)
Telephone 01204 336644 (Residents)
View map

Opening times

Times are displayed in a 24 hour format.

Open Close

Upcoming activities

Upcoming events