From 1 February 2015 the housing benefit investigations team will transfer to the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP). 

If you suspect someone is committing benefit fraud you can report it in one of the ways below.

Telephone – If you want to report a fraudulent housing benefit/council tax benefit/national welfare benefit claim via telephone you should ring the DWP National Benefit Fraud helpline 0800 854 440.

Internet – If you want to to report housing benefit/council tax benefit/national welfare benefit fraud via the internet, you can visit

In Writing – If  you wish to make written allegations of housing benefit/council tax benefit/national welfare benefit fraud you should post the allegations to the following address:

NBFH, PO Box 224, Preston PR1 1GP

The more information that is given the more likely the investigation will result in a positive outcome.

Information could include:

  • The person’s name and address
  • A description of the people involved – approximate age, if they have any distinguishing features or “look like” a famous person.
  • Details of any vehicles involved – description, colour, make and registration number.
  • Employment details if the person is working – Employers name and address – hours worked – time they leave their house and return – how they dress e.g. do they wear a uniform.
  • The type of fraud you suspect is taking place and why you suspect this.
  • Any indication of how long you suspect the fraud has been going on.

If you wish to give your name and address it may assist the investigator but this is entirely voluntary.

Bolton Council

Town Hall

Victoria Square



Telephone 01204 333333
View map

Opening times

Times are displayed in a 24 hour format.

Open Close

Upcoming activities

Upcoming events