Admission BookletAre you thinking about becoming a childminder?

If you become a childminder, you will care for children in your own home and will follow Statutory Framework of the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS).

Please also read the following documents which will be useful in becoming a childminder:

Please note, if you live in rented property you will need written agreement from your landlord to run a childminding business from home.

As a registered childminder, you may be self-employed and therefore responsible for your own tax and national insurance. You will need to comply with HMRC guidance and you have the option of using the services of an accountant.

Marketing your own business will be your responsibility so you may want to find out if there is a need in your area.

For more information, contact Families Information Service on 01204 332170.

Childminding agency

Alternatively, you may wish to become part of a childminding agency that might provide some of these services for you.

Before you can operate as a childminder, you will either need to be registered with:

Things to think about

It is important that children are safeguarded at all times. You will need to obtain a DBS check from the Disclosure and Barring Service and complete appropriate local safeguarding board training.

Other mandatory training that you will need to undertake includes paediatric first aid and food safety.

After reading the above,if you decide childminding is for you, then you will need to complete training which helps you to understand and implement the EYFS.

A number of training courses are available for you to complete before registration, both online and face to face.

Other training providers may offer training courses. You can search online for further details.

Once you are registered, you will receive support from Bolton Local Authority via the Early Years and Childcare Team and Workforce Development Team, or from your childminding agency.

Further information can be obtained on the Start Well website and Bolton Council website.

Families Information Service

Town Hall

Victoria Square



Telephone 01204 332170
View map

Opening times

Times are displayed in a 24 hour format.

Open Close
Monday 9.0  17.00 
Tuesday 9.0  17.00 
Wednesday 9.0  17.00 
Thursday 9.0  17.00 
Friday 9.0  17.00 

Upcoming activities

Upcoming events