Lasting memorial to Gallipoli 

22/04/15

A lasting memorial to those who lost their lives during the Gallipoli Campaign will be created in Queens Park, Bolton.

The tribute has been built to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the start of the campaign in April 1915.

A special service dedicated to the fallen and to mark the unveiling of the memorial will be held on Sunday, April 26 at 3pm.

The Reverend Canon Matt Thompson will conduct the service and will be joined by the Mayor of Bolton, Councillor Martin Donaghy, the Leader of Bolton Council, Councillor Cliff Morris, other council representatives and local veterans.

Members of the 1st Battalion Lancashire Fusiliers, which included men from Bolton, landed on the beach at Gallipoli, Turkey on April 25, 1915. The Fusiliers were met by heavy fire, resulting in a large number of casualties.

The battalion was awarded a number of Victoria Cross medals for valour, famously referred to as “six VCs before breakfast”.

So far, research has revealed the names of 134 Bolton men who lost their lives – which will be included on the memorial – but it is an on-going project to find the names of as many men as possible who took part in the battle and didn’t survive.

The Mayor of Bolton, Cllr Martin Donaghy, said: “For several months, as a town, we’ve been commemorating the centenary of the start of the First World War and I especially wanted to pay tribute to the Bolton men who lost their lives at Gallipoli. It’s only fitting that they have a lasting memorial in the borough.

“The memorial will be in a central location in Queens Park, where everyone can visit and pay their respects should they wish to do so. Researching the names of the fallen is an on-going project and I’m sure there will be more servicemen that we don’t yet know about.”

The memorial, a 6m high sand stone obelisk, has been made and donated by Armstrongs Group, Horwich. It will bear a brass plaque, featuring the names of the fallen, and an information board explaining a brief history of the Gallipoli landings.

Emma Armstrong, of Armstrongs Group, said: “The stone has been sourced from our quarry at Brinscall, Chorley and is the same stone that we are supplying to the Temple de la Segrada Familia in Barcelona, designed by Antoni Gaudi.

“We are very proud to be involved with this prestigious piece remembering the fallen in such an important event in the history of our country, and hope that many people will visit the memorial and have a fulfilling and uplifting experience.”

It will be situated in the Promenade area of the park, access via the Chorley New Road entrance.

Bolton Library and Museum Services are currently researching the names of everyone who lost their lives during the First World War. Visit their website for details of the Bolton War Memorials Project.

 

View all news articles

Media contact
Karen Spibey
01204 332064
Further details
Mayor's Office
01204 331090