This section helps you find out what you need to do to send your child to a nursery school. It also gives information of the various facilities offered by nurseries.
A nursery school is for children from the age of 2, a nursery class in a primary school is for children from the age of 3.
There are four nurseries schools in Bolton Local Authority:
- St Germain
- Susan Isaacs.
The Schools directory provides contact details of these nursery schools as well as all other schools in Bolton.
Allocating nursery school places
The admission policy for nursery schools and classes is as follows:
The Head Teacher will allocate places in their nursery school/class as they become available, primarily on the age of the children. Head Teachers may also take into account medical factors or serious social deprivation, which should normally be supported by independent evidence. Pupils with a place in any other Bolton LA nursery school or class will only be considered after all other places have been considered. Failure by parents to reveal any other LA nursery placement for their child may result in a place being withdrawn if this is subsequently brought to light.
Please note that it is not the policy of the Childrens Services Committee to give preference for admission to Reception classes to children attending a corresponding nursery for the following reasons:
- In many schools the number of children offered the benefit of nursery education is more than the intake of the infant school. It is felt, however that nursery places should be provided for as many children as possible; and
- It is the policy of the Committee that as nursery places are not available in all schools, nurseries should serve a wider area than the usual school intake area. This is particularly important where there are applications for nursery places from parents of children with social priority reasons.
Having a place in a nursery class DOES NOT automatically give a child admission to the primary school it is attached to.
Infant class sizes
Government legislation is in place which limits infant class sizes. This means that since September 2002 no infant child is taught in a class of more than 30 pupils with one teacher.
Special needs provision in nursery schools
Resourced nursery schools
There are 3 resourced nursery schools in Bolton, who have places for children with additional needs:
- Grosvenor and Susan Isaacs Nursery both offer 8 full-time places for children who have a developmental delay across a range of areas
- Alexandra Nursery offers 8 part-time places for children who have delayed speech, language and communication skills
- All three nurseries have teachers and nursery nurses with specialist knowledge
- They also have specialist play equipment. Transport may be available
Nursery Classes within fully inclusive schools
There are 5 fully inclusive primary schools, fully accessible and with therapy rooms:
- Blackshaw, The Gates, Queensbridge, Castle Hill and The Valley
- Each school offers one nursery place annually for children with profound and multiple learning difficulties, or severe learning difficulties
- The child takes part in all school activities