How your council tax is calculated

The full Council Tax bill assumes that there are two adults (over the age of 18) living in a property. The bill does not increase if more than two adults live at the same address.

Click on the types of discounts below for further information...

  • Single person discount

  • Adults who are not counted in calculating Council Tax

    • You may be entitled to a reduction on your Council Tax bill if one or more of the adults in your house are not counted:

      » Full-time students and student nurses - apply for this

      » Apprentices and people under 25 on youth training schemes - apply for this

      » People permanently resident in a nursing home, hospital or residential care home - apply for this

      » People who are severely mentally impaired - apply for this

      » Carers - People living with and caring for someone who is not their partner, spouse or child under 18 - apply for this

      » People staying in certain hostels or night shelters

      » 18 and 19 year olds who are at school or college, or who have just left - apply for this

      » People in prison or detention - unless in prison for not paying Council Tax or non-payment of a fine - apply for this

      To claim this discount, please complete the relevant application form.

  • People with disabilities

    • To be eligible for this reduction your home needs to have special facilities which are used by the disabled person who lives in the property:

      Your home must have at least one of the following:

      » a room which is mainly used by the disabled person

      » an additional bathroom or kitchen used by the disabled person

      » space inside the home to allow for the use of a wheelchair, if a wheelchair is used by the disabled person

      The reduction is the equivalent of your band being reduced to the band below or by a sixth if your property is in Band A.

      Claim this reduction

  • Family annex discount

    • A 50% discounts is available for annexes that are either being used as part of the main residence or are occupied by relatives of the person who is responsible for the council tax on the main properties.

      If you think you may be entitled to this discount, contact our council tax section.

  • Occupied properties which are exempt

    • If certain groups occupy a property they can be exempt from paying Council Tax, the properties which are exempt are:

      » Occupied only by people under 18.

      » Occupied only by people who are severely mentally impaired - apply for this

      » Occupied only by full time students or student nurses - apply for this

      » Where the property is part of another property and a dependent relative lives in it, such as a ‘granny flat’ or annex.

      Please complete the relevant application form or - contact our council tax section.

  • Unoccupied and unfurnished properties

    • If your property becomes unoccupied and substantially unfurnished the following reductions may apply:

      » The first 3 months - A 100% discount will be given from the date of vacation for a period of up to 3 months.

      » After 3 months and up to 6 months - If the property remains unoccupied and substantially unfurnished a 25% discount will be given so the council tax charge will be 75% of the full charge for the property.

      If you think you may be entitled to this reduction, contact our council tax section.

  • Properties undergoing or requiring major repairs or alterations

    • Where a property is unoccupied and unfurnished and requires or is undergoing major repairs or structural alterations, a reduction of 100% for up to 12 months can be claimed.

      Evidence is required for this discount and the council may wish to inspect the property to verify its condition or what work is taking place - apply online

      You can find more information and advice on how to bring your empty property back into use on the empty residential properties page.

  • Unoccupied properties which are exempt

    • Properties that are empty for certain reasons can be exempt from Council Tax, these properties are:

      » Owned by a charity are exempt for up to six months from vacation providing that when they were last occupied they were being used for the purpose of the charity.

      » Left empty by someone who is a permanent resident in a hospital, residential or nursing home or in prison/detention

      » Left empty by someone who has left to receive care from another person

      » Left empty by someone providing care for another person

      » Left empty that were last occupied by a full-time student who is the owner or leaseholder

      » Left empty because someone has died are exempt where probate has yet to be made and for up to six months after probate has been granted

      » Left empty because they have been repossessed or are the responsibility of a trustee in bankruptcy

      » Left empty because occupation is not allowed by law

      » Waiting to be occupied by a minister of religion

      If you think you may be entitled to this reduction, contact our council tax section.
  • Discretionary reductions to council tax

    • Discretionary reductions to council tax can be made if you can show you need extra help with your council tax. This could be because:

      • » your council tax support does not meet your full council tax liability,or
      • » you are affected by the welfare reform changes introduced in April 2013, or
      • » you are affected by the changes made to council tax discounts and exemptions for unoccupied properties introduced from April 2013

      To qualify for a discretionary council tax reduction:

      • » you must be the person responsible for the council tax and
      • » we must be satisfied that you need financial help

      The scheme is purely discretionary; there is no statutory right to a reduction in council tax.

      What happens next?

      We will look at your application and decide whether

      • » you should receive help towards your council tax,
      • » how much help you will receive and
      • » for how long the help will be given - this support is not intended to be given for long term or indefinite periods

      A successful application does not guarantee that a further award will be made at a later date even if your circumstances have not changed.

      Download a form

      Amount of reduction

      The amount of reduction will depend on your individual circumstances and your need at the time of making the application. Consideration will be given to your financial and personal circumstances.

      Any reduction granted will be paid direct to your council tax account to reduce future payments of council tax. You will receive a new council tax bill, and if you pay your council tax bill via installments, your installments will be recalculated.

      The right to a review

      There is a right to a review where there is extra information/different evidence to that supplied in the initial application. If you disagree with our decision, you (or someone else representing you) may request a review. This should be submitted in writing within one calendar month of the original decision. A different officer will look at the original decision and the additional evidence supplied.

      Help with your rent

      If you also need help with your rent and you receive housing benefit, you can use the same form to apply for a discretionary housing payment.

Changes in circumstance

Please note: You must inform the council tax office, within 21 days of any changes that affect your charge or your right to a discount, reduction or exemption. If you fail to do this you may be required to pay a penalty of £70.

Details on changes you must tell us.

Council Tax

PO Box 32



Telephone 01204 331599
View map

Opening times

Times are displayed in a 24 hour format.

Open Close

Upcoming activities

Upcoming events